As the Coronavirus crisis continues around the world, babies are still being born every day and more and more families may need the support of a Mother-Baby Nurse or a Lactation Consultant. As a nurse, I have worked a lot with babies in the NICU – those most vulnerable to infections. Your baby’s health & well being, as well as yours, is my top priority. This is what I do to ensure the safety of your Family during a home visit:
Prior to the Visit
- I screen all my patients for symptoms of respiratory infection a day before the visit via online questionnaire. In case of a confirmation of possible symptoms of a respiratory infection, a virtual visit will be offered instead via a HIPAA compliant telemedicine platform.
- I thoroughly clean and disinfect all my supplies using EPA-registered and CDC approved disinfectants before every visit. I also disinfect my charting tablet and my phone before and after each visit using alcohol wipes.
During the visit
- Upon arrival, I always clean my hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- I will wear a face mask during our visit, I also require everyone who will be present during the consult to wear face mask, excluding Children under 3 years old.
- Throughout the visit, I use gloves every time I touch you and your baby.
- When weighing your baby, I will use a disposable chux pad to place on the disinfected scale. You can use your own receiving blanket, if preferred.
Having a baby is an enormous responsibility. Protecting these most vulnerable members of our community should be of the utmost importance. With the proper precautions, we can all ensure they stay safe and healthy.